Monday, June 9, 2008

Exciting Times

What a busy few weeks! The in-laws just left on a European cruise, our good friends, the Traaseths, just left town, and tomorrow I leave for St.Louis. First of all, what a wonderful week we had last week. The Traaseths came down from Minnesota in search of a new home. Most of us know what a frightful time that can be, wrought with insecurity. Unfamiliar surroundings coupled with the pressure of buying a home is a daunting situation to face. Wendy, Shelby, and I hoped to be able to provide a little bit of security and calmness to this family at a strange time. By the way, the Traaseths are a family we met through the Live and Learn unschooling conferences. 
Not only were the Traaseths able to use our home as a base, their children stayed at our house most of the week. What a pleasure and joy. I have dedicated my life to helping teenagers and their families, so to be able to open my home to three wonderful children, and for them to feel comfortable and secure, was truly a gift for my family and me. We haven't known each other for too long but our families really connect. Wendy, Shelby, and I were able to open our lives with ease and the Traaseth family made that so much easier just by being themselves. For that, we are grateful.
Tomorrow I head to St.Louis. I get to spend some time with some people that I haven't seen for a while. To be able to visit somewhere to share my experience with so many people that I love is an honor. I have been doing a series of seminars for about seven months based on my book and St. Louis is my next stop. As a part of this trip I get to spend a lot of time with the staff at Crossroads. This is an unbelievably dedicated and loving group of people. I can't wait to get there.
The bottom line with all of this is that I get to live a very exciting life. Whether it is through the people I have grown close to as a result of my work or through the relationships I have built through the unschooling community, I always have a ton of experiences to look forward to. I am fortunate to have a beautiful wife and wonderful daughter with whom to share these experiences. What I would share with anyone is to be true to your passions and to always pursue those things that bring you joy. Although situations will come up that are scary and decisions that are difficult to make, your pursuit of happiness will always prevail. Anyone who tries to sabotage this pursuit does not deserve your mental energy. Do not give it to them. Live your life and enjoy what you do. Rock hard!


1 comment:

Mrs. Q said...

We are so happy that your here!!! The work shop was perfection and I enjoyed every second of it. You bring such hope and joy wherever you go. You gotta get some IMO's soon.