Wednesday, July 30, 2008

"I Don't Know!"



Last night I browsed through some of the RU Fun pictures on the Flickr site. I love seeing these pictures along with my own because I get to see the retreat from other's perspectives. We may all be looking at the same thing but it changes through different eyes. 
In going through the pictures, I ran across a couple of one of my new buddies. I talk and write all of the time about the significance of paying attention to those with whom we connect but some people have more of an impact than others. This isn't good, bad, or otherwise it just works out that way. I make an effort to appreciate all relationships that I develop. Some people make it very easy to do. 
Anyway, after being at the retreat for a couple of days, talking and playing I became progressively more comfortable. I was approached by a little girl who kept challenging me with physical feats such as spinning, jumping, and tumbling. At 39 these acts are a bit more challenging than they once were but I pulled it off. This continued for a while and we wound up hanging out the rest of the afternoon and evening. Me and my new friend went and helped my wife and daughter, we walked around the campsite saying hello to people, and we jumped on inner tubes. At one point I asked her how old she was and her response was "I don't know!"
To me that was the most brilliant response to a quintessentially adult question that I had ever heard. This little girl never stopped laughing or having fun. She brought joy and happiness to everyone with whom she made contact. For me, to be reminded that it makes absolutely no difference what someone's age is, what their level of education, or their "future aspirations"is of undeniable value. My life is fun and free when I am able to answer questions like "How old are you" with a care-free and enthusiastic "I don't know." When I am grateful and appreciative not only do I not know but I don't care.
Thank you, Mia!

3 comments:

Winkelmann said...

I know what you mean about kids(really anyone who lives so clearly in the moment). They are one of the best reminders of how fun and enjoyable life can be.
Love ya

Valerie A. said...

She sounds wonderful, I hope we get to meet her someday. I completely understand and absolutely love spending as much time as I get to with Liv, who lives so in the moment. I also love watching other children who aren't as familiar to me, as they always seem to say and do the most brilliant and sometimes seemingly unexpected things (Often things I wish I still had the guts to do!)
Love You!
Val

Morgan Pierce said...

That is seriously cute and awesome.I love the thought of not blowing off the people we feel strong connection's with, because if it is a stranger I often do. I love you!