Monday, July 21, 2008

Oh, Canada......



Tis not my home, nor my native land, but I did have a wonderful week in our neighboring country to the north. When my family and I first heard about the RU Fun week we couldn't wait. For Shelby and me it provided us our first opportunity to leave the country. For all of us it provided an opportunity to meet some families we hadn't met before and become closer to some others we already knew. 
Within this simple week we accomplished all of these goals. Not only were we able to reconnect with some familiar faces from past Live and Learn conferences, we also got to meet a lot of the Northwest and Canadian crowd. What a fantastic group of people. I don't know if I have the words to describe how truly wonderful it is to be able to spend a week with such a beautiful group of people in such an amazing setting. For my family I know that this event has not only brought us closer but it has enriched our lives in so many other ways.
I am a firm believer in that the more people we are able to lovingly connect with, the better the world in which we live. Regardless of what common interest brings a group together, when the members of that group are able to drop their walls of self-protection and truly connect, everyone benefits. The laughter of children, the embraces, the dancing, and the conversations all provided an air of safety and security that most people yearn for.
I am reminded how important it is to have these types of relationships and how I need not take them for granted. Far too many people sabotage their own lives as a result of isolating themselves out of fear or judgement. I refuse to miss the precious moments of my life and the celebration of spirit that comes from human connection.
Thank you Craig and Gillian and everyone else who was at Salt Spring Island last week. My life is truly better as a result.

4 comments:

Winkelmann said...

The Stonebraker's kick ass. I appreciate all that you share about your family. I love you guys!
(also, great title)

Robbie said...

Man, I was really looking forward to you blogging about this trip. It sounds great. Quality Canadian national anthem reference in your opening line by the way. I can't wait to attend those events. I totally agree about dropping walls and getting to know people. I find it makes my life so much more fun when I am willing to connect with who ever is in front of me(as long as their not like an axe murderer or something. Ha) Glad you guys are home, and real excited to see ya in a few weeks. Love Ya,

Geffen

Heather Lewis said...

I'm so glad ya'll had so much fun. I really miss you guys when you are gone, so I'm very glad you are home. I love you very much. You go boy.

Mrs. Q said...

Welcome home Stonebrakers. And I am happy to hear/read that the trip was awesome. Love you.